Nick Compton, the England batsman, was on Wednesday (August 3)
included in the Middlesex squad for the County Championship game against
Surrey at Lord's. Compton, who took a self-imposed break from the game
after his poor returns against Sri Lanka earlier this summer, has
revealed that he is now 'ready to go'.
"Having
played for quite a while you realise that players do go through dips in
form and tough periods, so you try to be as mature as you can and
realise that these things do happen, as hard as it is when you're in the
moment," Compton told Sky Sports News.
"The
first 10 days my dad was over so I went away with him, switched off my
phone and stayed away from cricket. Then when I came back I just tried
to get back into good routines. That was key, just to get healthy again
and clear the mind and make sure that when I came back I was fit and
healthy and ready to go."
Compton doesn't intend
to retire anytime soon and instead feels he can continue to play for a
few more years. "There's no way you want to be making decisions when
you're feeling a bit low and emotional," he said. "I'm still hungry to
play cricket as competitively as I can. I've still got a number of years
in the game. I'm looking forward to enjoying my cricket and playing
positively."
However, he doesn't want to focus on
returning to the England Test side just yet and wants to help Middlesex
consolidate their position at the top of the County Championship table."I
had a great time with England. It's a fantastic squad to be a part of
and I have some great memories, but at the moment my priorities are
short term - making sure I'm playing well. We've got eight weeks left of
the season and that's where my focus is at the moment. But things
change quickly in sport and we'll see."
The
33-year-old has so far played 16 Tests for England and is averaging
28.70. He failed to consolidate his spot despite scoring back-to-back
centuries in New Zealand and was eventually dropped before being
recalled for the South Africa tour last year. After scoring 85 in
Durban, Compton couldn't manage to post even a single half-century in 12
successive innings before deciding to take a break from the game.

No comments:
Post a Comment