Stuart Broad, the England fast bowler, is in talks with Big Bash
League franchise Hobart Hurricanes over a possible deal to play in the
Twenty20 tournament later this year, Hurricanes general manager Michael
Roberts confirmed on Monday (August 15). The franchise is expected to
make a decision after confirming the pacer's availability in that period
based on his national commitments.
"Stuart Broad is one of a
number of international players that we are currently in talks with,"
Roberts said. "The usual process with contracting internationals is to
talk to a number of players and wait and see what their availability is
with their national commitments during the Big Bash League period.
"Once it is clearer on a player's availability, we can then progress talks from there."
Kumar
Sangakkara will turn out for the Hurricanes once again but they have
one more overseas spot to fill after Darren Sammy's contract expired at
the end of last season.
England are scheduled to play a
limited-overs series in India during the BBL but the selectors are
unlikely to pick Broad after ignoring him for the World T20 earlier this
year. He was also not selected for the recently-concluded series
against Sri Lanka and post the snub, he hinted about playing white-ball
cricket overseas.
"I'm going to look at scheduling, whether it's
home or abroad, to try to play some white-ball cricket and there might
be a decent opportunity after Christmas this year because there's not a
lot of Test cricket then until, I think, July," he had said.
The
discussions could edge closer after Tuesday when the selectors name the
squad to face Pakistan in a five-match One-Day International series and a
one-off T20 with Broad not expected to be a part of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment