Australia could face the unusual prospect of two of their
series scheduled early next year overlapping, according to Pat Howard,
Cricket Australia (CA) general manager.
It is believed
discussions were held at ICC level earlier this year, where James
Sutherland, CA chief executive, raised the prospect of a clash of games
involving the first Test in Bangalore and Australia's scheduled T20I
series against Sri Lanka at home on February 17, 19 and 22.
CA
does not expect the Border-Gavaskar Trophy fixture will directly clash
with the back end of the Australian summer, but there is a scenario
where Australia could be playing a T20 game at home and a Test match in
India simultaneously.
"We are scenario-planning and we strongly
don't anticipate that an Australian team will be playing the same day as
another Aussie team," Howard told Foxsports.com.au on Thursday (August 4). "Our caveat is we don't know when the Indian Tests are. We haven't got that schedule confirmed."
Testament
to an increasingly crammed calendar due to the rise of Twenty20
cricket, tours have been coinciding as highlighted earlier this year
when Australia's ODI squad left for New Zealand in the midst of a
Twenty20 series against India in Australia.
But specific matches
are yet to clash, although it is a prospect that appears inevitable.
"The schedule will continue to be tight, and has been for the last
couple of years," Howard said. "There have been contingency plans
discussed. The preparation clashes which happened in the past, I can
absolutely see happening again."
Howard said Test cricket remained
Australia's priority. "I don't apologise for putting Test cricket
first," he said. "We have to give the guys every opportunity to play
well in India, which will mean (other) guys will get an opportunity to
play T20 international cricket here."

No comments:
Post a Comment