Steve Elworthy, the former South Africa fast bowler, has been
appointed as Managing Director of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, the
International Cricket Council (ICC) and the England and Wales Cricket
Board (ECB) said in a joint release on Tuesday (July 19). Elworthy will
also oversee the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 and the ICC Women's World Cup
2017, both of which will be staged in England and Wales. In his role as
the MD of the tournament, The 51-year-old has previously served as
tournament director for World T20 in 2007 and 2009 and the Champions
Trophy in 2013.
Elworthy represented South Africa in
four Tests and 39 One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and took 57
international wickets. Post his retirement in 2003, he took up senior
management positions in marketing and communications with Cricket South
Africa and the ECB.
"Since I retired from professional cricket in
2003, I have been given some fantastic opportunities in cricket
administration and managing the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is the
biggest and the best yet," he said. "The UK has an outstanding record of
hosting world-class events which set a benchmark for other countries,
and other sports, to follow and I am very keen to maintain that
tradition over the next three years. All three ICC global events will
give us great opportunities to broaden cricket's appeal and reach out to
new audiences worldwide."
Welcoming the appointment, ICC chief
executive Dave Richardson said Elworthy had a proven track record as a
cricket administrator. "Steve is well respected and enjoys an excellent
relationship with the ICC Events staff," Richardson said. "I'm confident
that the ICC and Steve's team will work together to ensure they scale
new heights in delivering an unforgettable event for players,
spectators, media and sponsors."

No comments:
Post a Comment