The Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) recent revelation
on its website that it paid Mohammed Shami Rs 2.2 crores as compensation
for missing the Indian Premier League (IPL) last year due to injury
seems to have reopened a few old wounds.
"I see Mohammed Shami got
compensated for injury during IPL in 2015 from BCCI. Any chance they
can compensate the Kochi Tuskers players (sic)," tweeted Brad Hodge, who
currently coaches the Gujarat Lions in the IPL, on Tuesday (July 12).
Kochi
Tuskers Kerala, which was formed with a consortium of five companies
put together by Rendezvous Sports World, played in the IPL in 2011
before their contract was terminated by the board on account of failure
to submit their annual bank guarantee.
Apart from Hodge, the team
included the likes of Mahela Jayawardene, VVS Laxman, Brendon McCullum,
Ravindra Jadeja, Parthiv Patel and Muttiah Muralitharan. Following
Kochi's termination, the squad members were placed on auction for the
subsequent season.
In January 2012, the BCCI even suggested the
overseas players to sue the Kochi Tuskers. Around a year ago, Kochi
Tuskers, after a long legal battle, finally got some relief when the
court-appointed arbitrator Justice Lahoti directed the board to pay Rs
550 crore for terminating the franchise.
"The BCCI still owes me
$400,000, and Mahela, who was the captain of the team, $500,000. I've
written or spoken to the BCCI officials so many times in this regard,
but despite many assurances on their part, nothing has happened.
Overall, the BCCI owes the Kochi players more than $2 million. We're
still waiting to get 40% of the money due to us. The franchise paid us
only 60% of our share, before asking us to take the remaining 40% from
the BCCI, since they claimed that the board had kept their guarantee
money with them," Muralitharan told Times of India from Colombo.
"I've played in so many leagues around the world, but no board has done
something like this. Like the players, the board too is supposed to
honour a contract. It shows that they don't care for the players.
They're just bothered with running the tournament.
"While guys
like me and Mahela can still run our homes without this money, imagine
the plight of the lesser-known players for whom $30-40,000 matter a lot.
I've heard that some of the support staff, in fact, didn't get 80% of
their dues."
No one, he said, can help the cause of these players
in putting pressure on the BCCI to settle the claims of these players.
"When it comes to the IPL, the Sri Lankan cricket board leaves you on
your own," said Muralitharan. "The BCCI doesn't recognise FICA
(Federation of International Cricketers, headed by former Australian
off-spinner Tim May), so there's no point in going to them, and I don't
want to sue the BCCI in the Indian courts, because I know that the case
will stretch for years."
Defending the delay in payment, a board
official said: "They're supposed to be paid by the franchise, and not
us. The matter is in dispute, and we're hopeful that the players will be
paid once the matter is settled in the court."

No comments:
Post a Comment