The Supreme Court of India has accepted majority of the long list of recommendations
put forth by a court-appointed three-member panel, led by retired Chief
Justice RM Lodha. Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has been
handed a deadline of six months to implement the accepted
recommendations. The apex court, on Monday (July 18), gave its nod to
the proposal of not having a minister in the administration of the BCCI
and having an age cap of 70 for the board members.
BCCI had
filed an affidavit earlier in March to oppose recommendations on
advertisements during matches, age cap on the officials, the
recommendation that there has to be a three-year cooling off period
after an official has completed his tenure and most importantly the
recommendation about 'one state, one vote'. The court, however, has
accepted every recommendation except the one regarding advertisements
during live telecast of matches. The Lodha proposal pushed for
advertisements between overs to be banned, a move that, the BCCI argued,
would have a severe impact on its financial structure and affect the
interests of its stakeholders, chiefly the broadcasters.
As for
'one state, one vote' recommendation, the associations like Railways and
Services stand to lose out, while states like Maharashtra and Gujarat,
who have multiple associations will have voting rights on rotation
basis. BCCI had previously argued vehemently against this proposal.
"This would mean those who have historically and till present time
furthered cricketing activity in the region like Baroda Cricket
Association would lose their permanent membership in the cricket board
while those who have no cricketing activity would get a huge say in the
board.This is a sure way to bring in huge politics in the affairs of
BCCI as those contesting elections would attempt to garner their
support," Kapil Sibal had said during a hearing.
In a bid to bring
about 'sportsmen for sports' policy, the Supreme Court accepted Lodha
panel's recommendation of the formation of a players association, which
will include all the current international players as well as those
plying their trade in first class competitions and former cricketers.
"(It
is) Great day for Indian cricket and Indian sport, (I) think cricket
fans should rejoice the verdict of Supreme Court. (I am) sure that with
the decision of Supreme Court out, BCCI will have the (recommendations)
implemented at the earliest," an elated Lodha told the media. Mukul
Mudgal, another retired judge and one who was previously appointed by
the Supreme Court to probe the spot-fixing scandal in Indian Premier
League 2013, echoed Lodha's optimism, saying: "I really think this will
lead (to) reforms in other sports as well."
During the course
of prolonged sessions, the apex court had acknowledged BCCI's forward
steps towards ensuring greater transparency, when they appointed AP Shah
and Rahul Johri as the Ombudsman and the CEO of the board respectively.
They, however, slammed BCCI for not having a member of the Comptroller
and Auditor General (CAG) in the governing council of the board, another
recommendation that will now have to be accepted by BCCI. BCCI had
previously argued that such a move would go against the guidelines of
the International Cricket Council (ICC).
The court has also left
it up to the parliament to decide if the BCCI needs to be brought under
the Right to Information (RTI) Act. Earlier in February, justices R V
Raveendran and Ashok Bhan, two members of the Lodha panel, had
stated:"Having regard to the emphasis laid by the Supreme Court that
BCCI discharges public functions and also the Court's reference to
indirect approval of Central and state governments in activities which
has created a monopoly in the hands of the BCCI over cricket, the
Committee feels that the people of the country have a right to know the
details about the BCCI's functions and activities."

No comments:
Post a Comment