The new regime at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI),
under Anurag Thakur, has already taken giant strides forward towards
promoting women's cricket in the country. In a major boost, the
contracted players of senior team have now been granted the freedom to participate in various overseas Twenty20 leagues- the first of which could be the second edition of the Women's Big Bash League (WBBL) later this year.
To
garner wider audience for women's cricket, and to make cricket a viable
career choice for the country's players, Cricket Australia initiated
the WBBL in 2015, on similar lines to the men's tournament. Taking the
cue, and going by the reception WBBL received in its inaugural year,
England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) too rolled out a league of their
own Women's Super League, due to kickstart in July 2016. India women
cricketers, who were notable absentees from WBBL Season 1, had many
foreign players advocating for their attendance in the upcoming English
league at the 2016 ICC World Twenty20 but the then BCCI management
failed to take a timely decision.
Mithali Raj, Indian Women's team
captain, has praised the new regime's efforts in clearing the way for
her team. "It is a good decision because the girls getting an
opportunity to be a part of these foreign leagues will give them loads
of experience in terms of playing in different conditions as well as
playing with players from different countries," Raj told Cricbuzz on
Friday (June 3).
"There will be a cross mixture of cultures since
they will be sharing the dressing rooms with players, and they will gain
more knowledge about the game. That will enhance their personal game
also," she added.
Veda Krishnamurthy, India's destructive
middle-order batter, too echoed her captain's sentiments. "It's a great
initiative by the board. If you look at it, Women's Super League and
(Women's) Big Bash (League) is already one year old now. The Big Bash
was a great success there. It will be a great exposure for us to go and
play with other international cricketers in the same team. We'll get to
learn a lot of things. It will be nice if we do get the opportunity to
go and play," she said.
CA and ECB will have to get in touch with
the Indian board, through which the contracts will be channelized, for
availing the services of the Indian cricketers for their domestic
leagues.
A little too late?
While the decision is
being lauded for it is a step-up for the women's game, the timing - more
than a month after the deadline for nominating the players for WSL -
could have been a little better. Given that the 50-over World Cup is
slated to be held in England next year, it goes without saying that the
Indian board should have been proactive when the ECB came calling for
nominations earlier this year.
After a failed bid to win their
maiden World T20 title, despite home advantage, any and every kind of
opportunity to gain exposure to the English conditions should have been
welcomed. Instead, the board let it slip.
Raj,
however, insists that BCCI's initiative should be taken in a positive
light and that their absence from the first season of WSL will have no
bearing on their World Cup chances next year. "It would have been good,
but then again since we have travelled to England so many times, I don't
think it would make such a huge impact. But yes, the exposure would
have definitely made a difference."
Krishnamurthy, though, puts
forward a pragmatic view. Like seen in the men's leagues, the franchises
only look to plug the gaps left after the preceding season, which would
mean the opportunities would be limited for the Indian players in the
seasons to follow.
"What will happen now is that say an ECB or
Cricket Australia will come up with a list of players they are
interested in. By then, they will have their players in mind in terms of
who they want. This time around, or the next year, they'll be looking
to add to their (already existing) team. They know how their team looks
now, it will only be according to their requirements, which player will
fit in," Krishnamurthy said.
The fact that the teams have already
been shaped up leaves limited seats for the Indians but at the same time
intensifies the competition within this group. At the receiving end
could be players like Shikha Pandey and Krishnamurthy - immensely
talented but, probably, not the first-choice overseas recruits for teams
that would want to stick with an experienced group. Harmanpreet Kaur,
India vice-captain, for her natural hard-hitting instincts or Smriti
Mandhana, whose exploits in Australia earlier this year helped India
stun the hosts in their own backyard, could top the franchise's lists
apart from the two usual suspects Raj and bowling all-rounder Jhulan
Goswami.
The Indian captain, however, believes, similar to the
men's competition, this too could throw up surprises. "The franchise
will be reviewing things, I hope. Maybe the coming season, you never
know, with the T20 World Cup and a lot more otherwise happening in
women's cricket, they might also be looking into players who can make
that difference (instead of just senior players)."
The hurdle
India's
own domestic season which starts around November becomes one of the
most obvious obstacles. While the scheduling of Super League, in
July-August, would allow the Indian stars to venture out and gain some
much-needed exposure in English conditions, the WBBL, due in
December-January, clashes with India's domestic season. During the
inaugural edition of WBBL, Cricket Australia had shown keen interest in
Raj and Goswami, but if reports are to be believed, the senior duo were
denied permission by their domestic teams to head to Australia.
Will
India's domestic season, and more importantly, teams allow players to
participate this time given the invitation is now being backed by the
board itself? Raj hopes things would be clearer by the time the second
season of WBBL is due. "It is very difficult to come to a conclusion
right now because there are so many procedures that go along with this.
Even BCCI has contracted players, so there could be different rules. But
hopefully everything gets clear once things start get rolling for us
this season."
Krishnamurthy thinks the timing of
BCCI's decision has given the state associations enough of a heads-up to
be prepared for the eventuality. "Maybe at that time, since it was a
new thing for the state associations too, they were not aware of it, I
think. Now that this has happened months before the domestic season gets
underway, it will give them time to think about it."
What needs to be done for a Women's IPL?
Raj
hopes for one but Krishnamurthy insists that till the Indians have
something of their own, it is paramount that they put up a performance
that leaves BCCI with very little choice.
"For that to happen, we
will have to do really well in the coming series, for BCCI to take
notice and come up with an individual tournament for us. It will be a
great, great initiative.
"See, the problem right now is that the
girls don't have enough exposure. You gain experience by playing more
matches. The more matches you play, the more you learn. If you see the
men's IPL also, the first season, it was all very new. And how well they
have picked it up over the years," Krishnamurthy observed.
Anjum
Chopra, former Indian captain, while speaking to Cricbuzz on the
sidelines of the IPL, too wanted the current crop of cricketers to raise
the standard of their game so that the board is compelled to give the
players a free hand.
"When we say that we are missing
out on the opportunities, we have to realise that we are probably not at
the same level as those (Australian or England) players are maybe. We
have to reach a level, our homework has to be so strong, that those
franchises feel that they need the Indian players because they add
value. So, (the players will have to) make themselves so good, you raise
the bar so high, that any league happening any part of the world feels
we can't run the show without them. And for that you will have to
perform consistently at the international level and to perform there,
your homework back home has to be very strong."
While the
participation in foreign leagues is a new beginning for the players, who
are yet unsure of how the procedures will pan out, it remains to be
seen if the BCCI will step in, if required, to ensure that the
cricketers, if invited, are given the liberty to make a choice for
themselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment